Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Embroidery and Gauntlets

Spent some time recently resuming work on Lidia's V2 outfit. I decided to give embroidery a whirl. Kind of an addicting craft. I rather enjoyed it. Till I saw it in these photos X_X Now I'm not so sure...
The new collar I made had be redesigned with an entire new pattern which seemed to have fit even better then my old collar pattern.
I plan to try at least one more embroidery project if it's worth the amount of time involved in the process of making this.


In other news...
Hrist's Gauntlets arrived for the second time. Excited to open the package, only to find one of the gauntlets busted again, this time it was worse. This is the second time.... I'm not sure what's going on with Shapeways quality control team. I'm just at a loss for words at the moment. I am not going to bother contacting support again, since one of the gauntlets turned out perfect, and the last attempt one was good too, so now I have two good ones, and two bad ones in separate orders o_O
Shapeways attempt 1
 This was the original gauntlets I received from Shapeways, you can see the flap in the right most area is cracked in half, They were happy to issue me a re-print of the entire model after their investigation of the matter.
Shapeways failed attempt 2
Their second attempt yielded one good gauntlet and one bad again. This time the bad one was worse then the last... it was cracked on the flap further down in the tumbler. What was different is there is huge gouges that run throughout the whole print, making me think there was an issue with the printing since they all run in the same dirrection...
I've done a lot of printing with Shapeways over the past year + and haven't encountered any type of problem like this before. They've always put out great quality. But it certainly makes me worry when I get around to working on Hrist's body armor... X_X
This gauntlets experiance also left me wondering if they even check model parts before they ship them out? The broken flap parts were not included in the back, suggesting they snapped in the tumbler.
At least they were kind enough to do a reprint however. :)

Photo of one of the 'good' prints
The photo above in the good print shows the flap fully intact and no scaring along the sides. Very weird that one printed fine, and passed through fine, and yet the other did not...

No comments:

Post a Comment